A good gaming headset can give gamers a decisive advantage in heated online battles. But doesn’t such a gadget cost a lot of money? Not at all! You can buy a gaming headset for less than $100 in 2022. The best options are listed below.
Whether as a lone warrior in the battle royale shooter Fortnite or as part of a squad in Battlefield V, a good gaming headset gives gamers a big advantage in almost all virtual situations, because sound and intelligibility are at least as important in many games as the right keyboard or monitor. Gaming headsets are available in all kinds of variations and price ranges, from cheap to expensive. But gamers don’t have to pay a fortune for a good headset. ByReyus has identified five best models that cost less than $100.
Gaming headsets: What’s important?
The market for gaming headsets is full to bursting. Razer, SteelSeries, Logitech – that’s just a mini selection of manufacturers that offer their own models. To find your way through this jungle of devices, it is important to know what is important. Gamers should pay attention to the following points before buying:
- Comfortable fit: If a game is really fun, the passionate gamer likes to sink several hours into a gaming session. The headset has to keep up. If it doesn’t fit properly, if the ear cups pinch or the ears start to glow, the gaming fun is quickly inhibited. That’s why a gaming headset should sit comfortably for a long time.
- Features: So that the gaming flow isn’t disturbed, there should be a few buttons on the headset that cover important functions. A mute button and a volume control are the absolute minimum. Those who like to listen to music with the headset will be happy about a detachable microphone. Also practical: a rotatable ear cup. If it is turned away from the ear, you can listen to what is happening in the room while gaming.
- Good sound: Muffled or distorted sound makes it impossible for gamers to get involved in a game and spoils the atmosphere. If it’s clear and balanced, on the other hand, it supports the gaming experience. Great: Spatial sound makes it easier to locate opponents.
- Proper microphone: The right agreements are enormously important in team games like “Counter-Strike – Global Offensive”. The microphone has to be involved so that all players understand what is being said. Of course, it is best if it reproduces the voice naturally and without major distortions. In the worst case, the voice sounds so muffled through the microphone that you can hardly understand the speaker. A top headset also needs a good microphone.
- Balanced sound
- Good surround sound
- Transmits voices tinny
- Breathing noises audible
The current king of the gaming headset best list is the Asus Rog Strix Go. The wired headset scored particularly well in the test with good spatial sound, which makes it easy to locate opponents. It still sits comfortably on the head even during longer gaming sessions. Only the microphone prevents a top rating: The voice sounds tinny.
However, this is acceptable considering the current retail price of around $81.
Logitech G Pro X Gaming Headset
- High sound quality
- Good detection of opponents
- Slightly heavy
The Logitech G Pro X gaming headset is available for around $100. It received top marks in the test. It offers a top sound and sits comfortably. As with the Asus headset, the Pro X is good at picking out opponents. The scope of delivery is generous, even additional ear pads are included. The somewhat high weight (0.7 lbs) was deducted from the B-grade in the test.
See also detailed review of Logitech G Pro X gaming headset.
- Good sound
- Natural voice reproduction
- Tracking sometimes blurry
- High microphone crosstalk
With a total weight of 344 grams, the Arctis Prime from SteelSeries is no lightweight either. Otherwise, there is little to criticize about the gaming headset. It fits comfortably, the sound is balanced and the voice reproduction via the microphone is natural. The partly blurred localization caused confusion in the test. It was not always clear from which corner the opponents ultimately came. The Arctis Prime currently costs around $25 at Amazon.
- High sound quality
- Decent tracking of opponents
- Connection cable a bit short (6′)
Also at the top of the gaming headset list: the Razer BlackShark V2. Not only the sound quality of the Razer headset is high, but also the wearing comfort. There is a detachable microphone on the device that reproduces the voice without much distortions. Unlike the SteelSeries headset, the tracking of opponents works properly. For around $50, the BlackShark V2 is yours.
- Good microphone
- High sound quality
- Slightly small earphones
- Short connection cable
The Razer Kraken X is by far the cheapest of the five headsets. It currently costs just around $40 at Amazon. However, that does not detract from the sound and microphone quality, both of which are on a high level. On top of that, the headset is nice and light with a weight of 0.54 lbs. However, the earphones could be a bit bigger and the connection cable quite a bit longer.
Gaming headsets for under $100: Conclusion
Even on a tight budget, gamers can grab a decent gaming headset. In the case of the Razer Kraken X, it costs less than $60. An attractive price for an accessory that is a must-have for almost every gamer.